Playback Problem

Jan 20, 2010 at 4:22 PM

There's a problem inside the SmoothStreamingMediaElement control where if you play a progressive stream (via Source property), then switch to a smooth stream (via SmoothStreamingSource property), when you switch back to the same progressive video source as before, the player does not play the video. I'm forced to switch the Source to a different video to clear up whatever internal memory states were set before I can successfully play the video source.

There's not much that can be done as MS controls that code, but I figure I would send this as a heads up to others. My workaround for this is to recreate the MediaElement on each source change and reestablish all event handlers and markers.

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2010 at 6:47 PM

Thank you for the information, I have made note of this issue and will try to find a resolution.

Coordinator
Jan 21, 2010 at 10:39 PM

Can you verify, are you using the latest 1.1 release or are you still on v.1?

Jan 22, 2010 at 5:22 PM

I am using version 1.1, but I discovered the true issue of the problem. Apparently it had to do with the way I managed my URIs. In my playlist object, I create the URI once and reuse them as needed. What happens here is when I reuse the URI object as the source, something in SSME (perhaps some caching mechanism) ignores it and refuses to play it because the source is being set to the same object. To solve my issue, I just have to assign new URIs each time. Works like a dream now :)