SSME Heuristics

Coordinator
Nov 30, 2009 at 6:33 PM

//Pasted from email conversation

*********************** (SSME Team Response)
There is no plan to release the source code for SSME. The reason we came up with the SSME interface was to enable developers to work at a higher layer without needing to touch the basics of heuristics. Heuristics are key to a good smooth streaming experience and hard to get right. Our team does a lot of testing in real life scenarios to get a default set of settings. We would love to understand their scenario and why they need to tweak heuristics and can suggest a way to achieve that.

Dear Kevin,

Since Expression 2, the Smooth Streaming Module source code has been available.
What we've been doing is modifying some of the parameters of the heuristics module
to better choose the bitrate of the chunks we need it to download, thus adapting to our project.
As the SSME at the moment is a closed library, we cannot add our version of the heuristics.
My main questions are:

Will the SSME Development team add support for this kind of integration?
Can any source code of the SSME be available for custom development?

Thanks for your patience and time.

Feb 5, 2010 at 1:08 PM

Or at least suplly a way to override the SSME Settings/configuration .. 

Coordinator
Feb 5, 2010 at 9:15 PM

You can configure the SSME by setting properties on the CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement.  However, if what you're looking for is a way to configure the heuristics of the SSME that is not something SMF can do b/c it is not supported by the SSME.

Feb 7, 2010 at 12:23 PM
Edited Feb 7, 2010 at 12:29 PM

But it is supported - the SSME has a ConfigPath property . and this configuration file should override some of the heuristics logic.
Currently this property doesn't work.-the config file doesn't even been called.
And we also need some documentaion or example on how to change this configurations.

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 9:05 PM

I recommend following up with the SmoothStreamingMediaElement team for questions about this component.  The SMF utilizes but does not support the SmoothStreamingMediaElement.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:26 AM
Edited Feb 24, 2010 at 8:26 AM

Yes i know i did post the same question to SmoothStreamingMediaElement ,i thought that you can push this issue better then me..,  thanks anyway you are doing an amazing job here. can't wait for the next version. :-)