Long latency with SMF Player

Jan 12, 2012 at 7:41 AM

I want to use the SMF player for smooth streaming. But when i test it, there is a long latency between 15-20 senconds. I want to change the LiveBackOff and LivePlaybackOffset properties of player but I couldn't see these properties. 

Also  when I create my SmoothStreamingMediaElement there is a latency between 20-25 senconds but after setting the LiveBackOff and LivePlaybackOffset properties to 0 then only 4 seconds latency.

So how can i decrease the latency of SMF player. 

Thank you.

Jan 12, 2012 at 8:50 AM

What do you mean by latency? The loadtime?

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:27 AM

I test it with live stream with an webcam. When I move in front of cam, this movement comes to screen 15 - 20 seconds later.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:45 AM

So you are doing this via an IIS server and everything? In that case that kinda latency is normal and expected.

You might also wan't to adjust the number of lookahead fragments on the livepoint in IIS and perhaps look into low latency smooth streaming. Remember though that reducing the latency like that will make the solution lest robust in case of network issues, so it might not be advisable for internet delivery.

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:57 AM

Yes I am doing this via IIS 7.0 and IIS Media Service 4.0. But when i create SmoothStreamingMediaElement and set the LiveBackOff=0 and LivePlayBackOffset=0 then latency is less than 4 seconds with IIS. The reason is I can not the see the LiveBackOff and LivePlayBackOffset properties of SMF player. Is there anyone who try live smooth streaming. 

Jan 12, 2012 at 10:59 AM

You can get the raw SmoothSTreamingMediaElement in SMF using:

SmoothStreamingMediaElement ssme = (SmoothStreamingMediaElement)this.ActiveAdaptiveMediaPlugin.VisualElement;

And then set the configuration there as you have done previously.

Jan 12, 2012 at 2:22 PM

Thank you for your reply.

I did what you wrote. I set the properties to 0 what I wrote you. But nothing changed. Still 18 seconds latency. Did you ever test with live stream. How many seconds latency you get. What can I do?

Jan 12, 2012 at 9:14 PM

Is there anyone who test SMF player with live smooth streaming. What is the latency that you have?

Jan 13, 2012 at 7:40 AM

15-30 seconds seems about right. Not really a problem for most applications, unless you are doing teleconferencing or livebetting.