Different session in player vs browser

Oct 13, 2011 at 1:17 PM

I am having an issue related to the player having its own session. For security reasons our playout consists of 2 calls to our URL delivery service. First a call that enables playout is performed from our own silverlight code. This HTTP call is done in one session. Then, when we feed the player with the playout URL request, the player uses its own session to call the URL delivery service for the video content. The URL delivery service needs to be able to associate these 2 separate requests, and the session would be the best way of doing it. To bypass the issue we have added a ticket feature where a unique ticket is used to connect the two calls. Doing this has posed another related issue when we have a time-to-live on the ticket and the user switches browser tab before the stream has started playing: http://smf.codeplex.com/discussions/275738

Any input would be greatly appreciated!

Oct 20, 2011 at 4:36 PM

I've also noticed this as I have basic authentication on my iis web server. This means I have to authenticate again for the new session. However this was only introduced in one of the later versions of the smf. If you go back to version 2.1 then I think the player uses the existing session.

Oct 20, 2011 at 6:19 PM

Thanks michael_weaver for your response. We will test version 2.1 to see how it behaves (given that it doesn't cause many other issues). Should this be reported as an issue perhaps?