3D Discrete Track format

Aug 31, 2011 at 1:40 PM

Hi,

I'm having a look at the new S3D settings and was wandering how Discrete Left and Right tracks work?

For instance I have one smooth stream which represents the left eye and another smooth stream which represents the right eye. Can I use the new S3D settings to combine these two streams into one 3D stream?

Thanks,

Michael

Coordinator
Aug 31, 2011 at 4:41 PM

Hi Michael, you need to create a single video stream with both the left and right frames. The reason for this is that due to the possibility of buffering and bitrate switching, you might end up left and right eye sources that are out of sync. In other words, this needs to be done as part of the encoding process.

Tim

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:05 PM

Hi Tim,

I was wandering if the MMPF automatically detects if a smooth stream is 3D or not? For example if I'm building a client that can be used to view both 2D and 3D smooth streams, how do I know when to apply the 3D settings to a PlaylistItem?

-Michael

Nov 9, 2011 at 1:33 AM

I am looking for the same answer. I am not sure when to aplly 3d automatically

Coordinator
Nov 9, 2011 at 4:22 PM

There currently is not an automatic way to detect whether or not the stream is 3D or not; you're app will need to have logic at the time it creates the playlistitems to know whether or not they are 3D. If you're using a CMS, you might be able to set it up to pass down this info along with the url of the stream.

Tim