Limiting min/max bitrates?

Jul 21, 2011 at 3:24 PM

Is it possible to limit the max bitrate for the player on the client player side? How about minimum bitrate? (In our platform we'd like to allow clients to save bandwidth or adjust minimum quality.)

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:05 PM

If you subclass SMFPlayer you can access a property called ActiveAdaptiveMediaPlugin (or you can get it via the MediaPluginRegistered event and cast it to IAdaptiveMediaPlugin). That object has the following method on it:

/// <summary>
        /// Specifies the range of video bitrates that can be downloaded.
        /// </summary>
        /// <param name="minimumVideoBitrate">the minimum bitrate that can be downloaded.</param>
        /// <param name="maximumVideoBitrate">the maximum bitrate that can be downloaded.</param>
        /// <param name="flushBuffer">flush the buffer</param>
        void SetVideoBitrateRange(long minimumVideoBitrate, long maximumVideoBitrate, bool flushBuffer = true);
Jul 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM

What does AvailableVideoBitrates do when you set it? I played with that on Media Open and that appeared to affect it as well... unless by coincidence ;)

Jul 21, 2011 at 11:56 PM

Hi Brandon, I was actually just looking at this and it actually doesn't do anything. We only update this property and never use its value. I'm considering making it readonly for now. Perhaps in the future we could use it to drive track selection.

Jul 22, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Grabbing the Adaptive plugin off the Registered event works great. We have a new feature :)

Thanks Tim!

Jun 19, 2012 at 1:09 PM

Hi. I cannot access to 

I'm interested in this solution. Has this URL changed? Thanks.

Jun 20, 2012 at 8:52 AM

I would also be interested in this, as using SetVideoBitrateRange does not actually seem to be limiting this anymore. This might have been the case with older versions, but in the current ones i can't really get that to work.