Advertising Direction

Apr 18, 2011 at 2:46 PM

I'm looking to develop a feature my customer wants to display 1 or more "ad" videos before my main video.  These are not necessarily commercials they may be just a informational bulletin.  I was leaning towards IIS Web Playlists to do this.  But I just saw the great stuff going on in the Advertisement overview document.  Now many of the features described in that document I would not need.  I just need to allow an admin to upload add videos and schedule 1 or more to be played before the main content items.  Does anyone have an opinion on IIS Playlist versus SMF 2.5 Ad support?  

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:25 PM

I believe the playlist will still allow the user to skip through the ad, so if you are fine with that then doing a playlist would be a much easier way to accomplish this. If not then you may want to use the advertising system in place or write some quick advert plugins to handle your situation.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:31 PM

There are flags on the playlist to disallow skipping as long as the media url is local or relative.  I haven't tested this yet with the player to see if this really works. 

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:32 PM

One more comment to add to darthobiwan's: PlaylistItem will also visually add the ad in the play list so this is another consideration depending on if you want this or not.

andyb13, there is also a 3rd option if you are using smooth streaming... you can set the PreRollAdvertisement prop on the PlaylistItem if all you need is a linear ad (an ad displayed in the main video area). In fact, the new advertising features in SMF 2.5 use this feature internally depending on the circumstances.

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:37 PM

I don't show the playlist to the user so that may not be an issue.  I maintain my own seperate playlist and copy the item the user wants to play to the smf playlist when needed.  I have a mixed bag of content.  Our old content is progressive only our newly encoded stuff is smooth streaming.  Yes i only want to show it in the main video area.  Does the PreRollAdvertisement work for progressive download content too?

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:46 PM

Ahh.. I forgot about that property. Last time I needed to do PreRoll ads it was before SMF 2 and I had to roll my own

I believe it works for both types

Apr 18, 2011 at 3:53 PM

andyb13, yes, PreRollAdvertisement will allow you to play progressive video ads as well as smooth streaming. You just to make sure you're using the smoothstreaming plugin to play your main video.