SMF File Sizes

Jan 27, 2011 at 11:59 PM

I was investigating SMF for use in a couple upcoming consumer facing projects instead of building a Silverlight player.  We are particularly focused on the initial load time w/ a clean cache.  I have a concern though about the file size, especially the Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Core.dll which is 894kb.  We have written other players in Flash that are ~200kb and also embedded in other pages.

Is there anyway around this size or it is what it is?

Jan 28, 2011 at 3:56 PM

Hi alpduhuez, keep in mind: when the dll is deployed in the .xap file, it is compressed to ~160K.

If you really needed to squeeze out more bytes here are a couple additional tips:

Since the source code is available you could look for classs & xaml not essential to your specific app and remove them. I understand this creates a potential maintenance burden going forward for you but it might help.

You could create an application library cache file for SMF so it wouldn't have to get updated when you updated and redeployed your xap file. This won't help with 'first launch' time but will make updates smaller going forward.

If you don't need SMF right away in your app you could dynamically download it at runtime in the background. You should be able to find tips on the internet for do this.

Hope that helps, Tim Greenfield

Jan 28, 2011 at 8:14 PM

Yes, very helpful, thank you Tim.  My organization is just getting up to speed on Silverlight, so this is helpful.