Multi-language audio

Dec 1, 2010 at 10:42 PM

This question might be a bit out of topic, but does any body know how manifest for elephant's dreams from the SMF examples was made? My guess is first wmv file with multi-language audio was created and then encoded into the ISMV files.

Thank you.

Jul 21, 2011 at 7:13 AM

This would be truly helpful.  Has anyone tried this?

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:40 PM

Qch, I'm also trying to understand this, have you get any furder inforamtion on how to recreat a sample with Multi-Language Audio?

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:52 PM

You might want to inquire/search the EE forums for more info about encoding multiple audio tracks in your smooth stream.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:02 AM
Edited Jul 26, 2011 at 6:32 AM

Tim, thank you for such a fast responce. I was just reading inforamtion on EE forums and what they are saying there is that its not supported at this time. So my questions now is, how are they doing them right now? is there another tool out there? Or do we have to use some "creative coding" to simulate this, if anyone can point us to further information will be awesome.

thank you,

Julian Romero

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:13 AM
Edited Jul 26, 2011 at 12:14 AM

This is what they say on the EE forum:

If it can't be done then how was it even possible in the Elephant's Dream stream?

I have been working on this for a week now and I think I might have a solution, however, I don't know if it is going to work yet.  Here is what I'm trying...

1. Encode the video using the EE SDK.
  2. Encode your separate audio as an audio overlay with the mediaItem.AudioGainLevel = 0; and I am using a custom preset which only encodes the video with audio overlay at the lowest bit rate which for my purposes is, I think 230.
  3. Then using code merge the audio nodes from the encoded audio .ism and .ismc files into the main video .ism and .ismc files.  

Theoretically this should work.  It's still a work in progress but if you look at the elephant's dream sample you will notice how there are actually 3 .ismv files encoded at the 230 bit rate but each is acting as a different audio track.

I will post back here when I figure this out.

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:17 AM

<beginrant>I would also like to add that it's pretty irritating that Microsoft expects us to use Expression Encoder for all our encoding needs, however they leave out functionality and then don't give any indication as to when it will be available.  Pretty irritating considering whenever you search for Windows Media Encoder 9 it redirects you to Expression Encoder 4 which is lacking a ton of the features that were available in WME9.  </endrant>

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:21 AM
Edited Jul 26, 2011 at 6:30 AM

My Friends, I think I'm starting to see the light. After researching the subject online I run into an article that talks about multi-language audios. Currently I'm installing it and traying to recreat the steps. If I succed I will have a manifest with at least two audio tracks. If any of you have already done this and have some extra documentation please let us know.

thank you,

Julian Romeo 

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:31 AM

If you figure this out can you please post the steps that you took?

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:33 AM

Great News! Four hours later I can guaranty you that it’s possible to create a manifest file with multiple Audio Clips like the example presented on Elephants Dream. I created a manifest file with 5 audio tracks and its working! Now I’m moving on to close caption I want to do a close-caption/subtitles for each language, can anyone help me with that?

Jul 28, 2011 at 6:26 AM

@heyjulian - Can you post a sample .avs file that you used to encode your original file to mp4's? 

Specifically I'm confused as to what to use when the guy in the article refers to this...

For example, the following settings worked for me when I used X264 to generate MP4 files using an AVISynth script. 

x264.exe –pass 1 –bitrate 2962–ssim –output NUL –profile high –preset slower –tune film –stats ".stats" –keyint 48 –min-keyint 48 –no-scenecut ElephantsDream.avs

x264.exe –pass 2 –bitrate 2962–ssim –output "MP4\%~n1_2962.mp4" –profile high –preset slower –tune film –stats ".stats" –keyint 48 –min-keyint 48 –no-scenecut ElephantsDream.avs

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:35 PM

Still, as it was created ism ?