Creating, Consuming Home-Made Smooth Streaming Content?

Oct 4, 2010 at 11:35 PM

I wanted to test out hosting smooth streaming content.  I downloaded an HD video and opened it in Expression Encoder 4 Pro.  Then, I converted it to the IIS Smooth Streaming encoding, which created several different versions of it.  Now, how do I go about hosting it?  I made a dummy web app and plopped all the files it generated into it.  I notice that all the links to "Elephant's Dream" and "Big Buck Bunny" all have a manifest file.  Encoder didn't create a manifest file for me.  I did, however, try to link to [path to my file]/[my file]/manifest, thinking that was what I was supposed to do.  Is this correct?  Did I encode it incorrectly?  Do I point it at the ism file?  Do I need to publish it to a website and then do something in IIS?  Thanks to all in advance.

Oct 8, 2010 at 6:14 PM
Edited Oct 8, 2010 at 6:17 PM

hi, you need to install smoothstreaming extensions for IIS 7.0 or greater (http://www.iis.net/download/SmoothStreaming). then you point to the resource url followed by /manifest .... so it will look like .... "*.ism/manifest", IIS will know what to do for you and your player will take it from there. 

G-