Upgrading from SMFv1 to SMFv2

Aug 23, 2010 at 10:20 AM

Hi all,

Having a project in SL3, I used an SMF v1 player with CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement inside it to play vod from a server. I applied styles to this player and added many code because of the complexity of the project ( Multiplex + scrubbing + events ... )

My problem now is that we have to upgrade to SMFv2, So I changed myproject version to SL4, changed SMFv2 dlls, but when trying to correct errors, I found that all objects used in SMFv1 doesn't exist in SMFv2, all changed and I don't know how to upgrade.

Do I have to restart all my dev from, the beginning ?? Or did someone tried to do that upgrade ?? What about changes between the two versions ? they seem to be big changes :O

Thanks

Aug 23, 2010 at 1:27 PM

Unfortunately the change from v.1.1 to 2.0 was very major, there is no easy upgrade path. The entire codebase was refactored, cleaned up and made to follow best practices. The new plugin system does render a lot of custom code obsolete. You will most likely have to start a new project and start migrating what you can to it. I would recommend taking some time before that going through the samples and playing around with the new player to get a feel for how it works. It is quite different than the old one. The change is for the better imho but it is a painful change nonetheless.

The biggest change between the two versions is the new plugin system and subesquent abstracting of responsibilities to support it. So now if you want to play smooth streaming and wmv files you'll have to use two MediaPlugins. These plugins are what actually contain the MediaElement objects.

Another big change is the PlayList which does make it a bit more annoying to just play one video but it does support passing in a lot of relevant information with the video.