Seemingly Different results from player based on different content types.

Aug 18, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Hi;

I have a player that programatically adds a couple of playlistitems to my player...  Here is the code...

myurl = "http://mediadl.microsoft.com/mediadl/iisnet/smoothmedia/Experience/BigBuckBunny_720p.ism/Manifest";
                    SISPlayer.Playlist.Add(new Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Core.Media.PlaylistItem
                    {
                        MediaSource = new Uri(myurl),
                        DeliveryMethod = Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.Primitives.DeliveryMethods.AdaptiveStreaming,
                        Title = "Microsoft Streaming Example",
                        Description = "Big Buck Bunny"
                    });

//this is the code I will use as it returns url from WCF web service... the other item is for Smooth Streaming testing...

myurl = e.Result.ToString();
                    SISPlayer.Playlist.Add(new Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Core.Media.PlaylistItem
                    {
                        MediaSource = new Uri(myurl),
                        DeliveryMethod = Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.Primitives.DeliveryMethods.Streaming,
                        Title = "MMS Web Cam",
                        Description = "WEB CAM" });

My player is extended from SMFPlayer.  I have autoload and autoplay set to false.   The first playlistitem is a smoothstreaming feed...  When I select this item from the playlist and hit play everything works fine... I hit pause and that works too...  As I said, I have my player extended from the SMFPlayer and the overridden play routine runs for this item and all is well...  However, when I choose the MMS Web CAM item as soon as I select it from the play list it starts buffering and playing.  Play or Pause buttons do not work from this point onwards.  the routines are not called either and the player just keeps on playing.... 

Also, if I use the GotoPlaylistitem(0) method on the first playlistitem (SmoothStreaming) then it sits there waiting for play to be pressed which is what I want...  However, the MMS feed will start playing right away when I use the gotoplaylistitemmethod on it and the play and pause buttons do not work and the methods do not get executed. 

These are two very different reactions to the same events... 

Is this by design or is there something i should be doing that I am not...  The play and pause/Stop routines have nothing much in them besides a call to their respective base methods...

There is what I want to happen...  the player automatically gets the playlistitem URL from the webservice.  Nothing gets transmitted or played until the user presses play on the player.  My preference is that the user not see the playlist at all actually and the play button will play the url that is provided...  there will only be one url for that player ever.  I am hoping someone can give some insight into why these two same scenarios have such different behaviour.  Thanks for reading and all the best...

Brendon 

Aug 19, 2010 at 11:28 AM
Anybody have some insight to this? I would really appreciate this as it is my last stumbling block now... as far as I know that is... All the best.... Brendon
Aug 22, 2010 at 11:40 AM

Hi

Guess no insight into this one... I will try and find a hack to make it work the same for both playlist item  types...  thanks for those who helped in the past... all the best