How to set specific duration for playback?

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:58 PM

Hi all. I am new to Silverlight technologies and one of our requirement is the creation of bookmarks as we called it and be able to leave a comments. This simply setting the current "IN" and "OUT" position during playback. I was able to do this using the PlaybackPosition properties of SMFPlayer and store as hh:mm:ss String format.

The second part is to be able to play the selected bookmark, the bookmarks (IN and OUT info are stored in soem datasource/objects). I can seek to the IN position but I can't figure out how to set the playback duration or the OUT position. Any idea how can I achieve this?

Aug 16, 2010 at 6:13 PM

Hey Mike, sounds like you only want your player to play a subset of the full video clip?  Is that correct?  Cool idea, not really native support in SMF for a feature like that right now.  If I've got your question right and this is an important feature add it under the "Issue Tracker" tab.  We'll use it for consideration in the next release.

Aug 16, 2010 at 7:27 PM
Edited Aug 16, 2010 at 7:34 PM

Hi krohling. You are correct, we want to play a subset of the full video clip based from the IN and OUT position or duration. I will add this functionality to the issue tracker. In the meantime, can you please suggest a workaround on how can I achieve this functionality. I am currently looking at creating a TimelineMediaMarker and stop the player on player_TimelineMarkerReached event. I am not sure if I am in the right direction. Please advice.

Note: There is an existing issue in the issue tracker, Setting End Position or Duration on playlist item ( which I believe will have the same effect as what ww want. I simply voted for that instead of creating a new issue.

Aug 24, 2010 at 7:02 AM

1.You can add a marker to the play list item that will represent the out time.

2.Cheat the player end time by inherting from SMF and overriding the "CalculateEndPosition" function