smfv2 questions

Jun 30, 2010 at 9:33 PM

Hey, I'm using your great new control which does just about everything I want it to. I am having a couple of problems however. It is probably my lack of knowledge. Be that as it may, Here goes...

I'm using the play as a control in another SL4 app.

If I add a playlistitem to the playlist, and it has the mediasource defined for progressivedownload, sometimes it doesn't start downloading immediately. In fact, sometimes it doesn't even make the request to the media source (I've seen this in fiddler).

Along these lines, I would also like to be able to set the mediasource for an existing playlistitem in the playlist and have that start the download. This works sometimes, and not other times.

I would also like to be able to handle the play button click event so that I can set the mediasource if there isn't one already.

Jun 30, 2010 at 11:30 PM

Interesting, it sounds like you want to add PlaylistItems to the Playlist and change the properties of those items on the fly?  I don't really recommend doing this, especially for the active playlist item.  Instead, if you need to change properties on a playlist item I recommend removing the old one and adding a new one.  The player isn't designed to listen to changes in Playlist Item properties.  Am I missing a use case here?

Jul 1, 2010 at 9:55 AM

I don't want you to change everything around, I was just looking for the correct method to make the thing work correctly.

So if there is no listening, there would be no data binding then either, or at most, OneTime?

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM

OK, I do have one more question. I have the smfplayer inside of a control that can be moved or resized. Everytime I do either one, the player starts the current video over, even if I have the player paused. Any clues?

Jul 1, 2010 at 7:33 PM

Oh, and once I started doing what you suggested, everything started to behave like I wanted it to.

Jul 2, 2010 at 1:15 AM

It is very unusual that you would see the video restarting when it's resized.  I suspect that the code you're calling to set the player's playlist is getting called by your control when it resizes.  This behavior has not been reported by anyone else and is not reproducable using any of the samples provided in the solution.

Jul 2, 2010 at 2:41 PM

Found out what the problem was - the player is in a popup, which I move to the top of the zindex stack when it gets clicked on. But that requires closing and opening the popup, because of a known short coming in the popup control.