Serious glitch

May 6, 2010 at 1:05 AM

There is a serious performance bug in this player...

Put the player on an empty screen.

put this line in your App.xaml.cs constructor:

App.Current.Host.Settings.EnableRedrawRegions = true;

See what happens when you run the program?  The media player is constantly redrawing itself, causing the processor to use up 100% of its resources.  I'm pretty sure that is not intended.

May 7, 2010 at 1:49 AM

Ugh, found one of the (two?) issues...

The Player's Play button - you have to edit the style, and remove the ButtonPulse animation.  Because the animation runs constantly, it pegs out the processor.  You can't have constantly looping animations without pegging out the processor!!  You guys should know that.  It might work on a Core i7 but if your computer is even slightly old, it just seriously degrades performance.

There is a 2nd animation running somewhere in the Player control, on a much slower timer.  I haven't been able to find it yet though to turn it off...

Please fix this for the summer release.  Thank you.

May 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM

Even with the ButtonPulse animation, a 5 year old machine is bouncing between 0 to 2% CPU usage for an idle player.

I think you may be experiencing another issue (i.e. incorrect display drivers or something). We have put this player through its paces for months now without even a noticeable performance impact on the part of the player. If your machine is having trouble with the ButtonPulse animation, there is no way it could even think about decoding H.264 Smooth Streaming video.

May 7, 2010 at 6:56 PM

The computer I am using at work is a Pentium 4, 3.o Ghz.  Windows XP SP3.  I don't know if it is more than 5 years old or not...

The display adapter is listed as a:

Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family, which from a quick google search appears to be a 5+ year old chipset.

Fortunately, the videos we are playing are at a 320 X 240 resolution, so we don't have to worry about H.264.  Even at that low resolution, the processor hits 100% during playback.

I will try to find an update to the display driver and see if that changes anything.  Thank you