Browser crashes on close

Apr 1, 2010 at 8:34 PM

Hey guys,

I posted this on the silverlight discussion board, but was unable to get a response. Maybe one of you can figure out my problem.

I have two versions of the application I'm building (using SMF of course): one with other controls (textboxes to display media information) and one that only contains the player.

When I close the application that includes the text boxes, the browser immediately stops responding. This happens either when I close the tab or the browser completely. This behavior occurs in both Firefox and Internet Explorer 8. In IE, the audio from the video continues to play after the browser is closed.

What's odd is that the application that does not have the text boxes closes fine in all browsers.

I've tried attaching an event handler to the application close event to stop playback, but nothing seems to work. It still crashes.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Nick

Apr 5, 2010 at 5:23 PM
I'm running into this on all browsers. Were you able to find a solution or at least what is causing it?
Apr 5, 2010 at 7:15 PM

Unfortunately no solution yet. I've tried removing all of the databinding I was doing on the controls as well as a few other pieces of the xaml with no success. I had it stripped down to essentially the player and nothing else and it was still crashing.

Apr 6, 2010 at 8:59 AM

I've had the same problems. You can see my post here:

http://smf.codeplex.com/Thread/View.aspx?ThreadId=207754

Apr 8, 2010 at 6:58 PM

For anyone interested, I finally solved my problem.

I had a ComboBox control on my page that contained multiple URLs of videos to test with, and I had attached a SelectionChanged event to it. Whenever I selected another video I set the source of the player to be the new source, and had it play the new video automatically. That seemed to be the chunk of code causing the problem. When I removed it, no browser crash.

Why that caused the browser to crash is beyond me.

Anyways, hope this helps you guys.

Nick

Apr 8, 2010 at 7:54 PM

I was also able to fix my issue and it was actually unrelated to yours. It was the Microsoft Analytics Framework that was causing the crash (partially). It was getting the Duration property from the SMF player for tracking. The first time it got the duration it worked, the second time it would fail. The player would throw an exception about the state of the object. We found the EstimatedDuration property to be a lot more stable and as we don't need to track this info anyway it was all we needed.