SMF Documentation

Jan 19, 2010 at 5:13 PM

Is there documentation of how to use the different features of SMF.  There are many properties and events and I'm not sure what many of them do or how to use them properly.  I know some of it is probably smooth streaming functionality and their documentation isn't very good either, so how are we supposed to get this information.  For example there is Player.MediaElement.Retry()or Player.LiveDurationExtendPercentage...what do they do.  I just picked two that I came across so it's not specific to these two items, but any help on where to start is appreciated.  Also I'm able to make the player stream video so it's not that I can't get it to work.  I'm trying to take it to the next level and understand the full feature set.

thanks,

Shane

Coordinator
Jan 20, 2010 at 6:24 PM

Shane,

API Documentation was a task that we did not have the bandwidth to complete for the current release, however we do understand its importance and will be addressing this in v.2.  For now, if you are attempting to gain familiarity with the API, I recommend looking at the comments in the source code.  While I would not expect all scenarios to be addressed, there may be enough information to answer your questions.

Player.MediaElement.Retry - This method has 2 overloads, Retry() and Retry(TimeSpan).  The first will attempt to reload the stream source only one time.  The second will attempt reloading the streams source for the specified length of time.  This can be very useful for recovering from network errors.

Player.LiveDurationExtendPercentage - When playing a Live stream, the actual length of the stream is likely not known in advance, and the player uses an estimate to properly display the Timeline.  If the length of the stream runs longer than this estimate, then the player must extend this estimate and adjust the timeline accordingly.  The Player.LiveDurationExtendPercentage is the percentage by which the estimate will be adjusted when this occurs.

Thank you for your comment,

Kevin.

Jan 21, 2010 at 3:37 PM
Edited Jan 28, 2010 at 1:07 PM

Thanks Kevin…I hadn’t even thought about looking at the source, but that’s definitely a good start.

Another question. Not sure if you would know this as it may be more of a PDK or SL question, but do you know what will happen to the SL player if the resolution changes mid stream. What I mean is if the video encoder were to change the resolution of the video being encoded would SL handle that or would the manifest need to be rebuilt and the video stream refreshed. If the manifest has to be refreshed is there a way to manually request that without doing a stop and start of the video… by using Retry() maybe?

Thanks,

Shane