Can this play any media source?

Dec 22, 2009 at 5:13 PM

Beginners question. 

Does this only work with smooth streaming sources?  Or can it also play local media files (wmv), mms streams etc?

I tried setting both SmoothStreamingSource and Source to a file served up by my local machine (not smooth streaming) and didn't get anything displayed.

Is there any difference between the Source and SmoothStreamingSource properties?

Thanks

John

Coordinator
Dec 22, 2009 at 6:35 PM

John,

The current version of SMF only officially supports Smooth Streaming.  Playing wmv's and mms streams requires progressive support which we are planning to release mid-January.

Jan 5, 2010 at 10:43 PM

Hello,

Can you please clarify whether you will also support Streaming from WMS servers, both for on-demand content as well as live Broadcast WMS content ?

Will we be able to leverage the MediaElement support for ASX handlers ?

I am very interested in working off of the SMF as a base player for a number of projects (including some work on the Silverlight HVP), however we desperately need support for accessing content made available through a Windows Media Server as we have tens of thousands of assets encoded in WMV9 which we cannot readily convert.

Any details in terms of timeline and details on supported features would be greatly appreciated.

Sincerely,

Nic

Coordinator
Jan 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM

Nic,

Our goal is to support the functionality in both the SmoothStreamingMediaElement and the MediaElement.  As far as timeline, we are planning this release for late January.  I hope this helps answer your questions.

Kevin.

Jan 13, 2010 at 3:20 PM

I am waiting quite impatiently for the release.  I REALLY could use it.  Actually condering putting 2 players in my app, and swapping back and forth so I can do smooth and progressive.  YUCK!

Coordinator
Jan 15, 2010 at 9:23 PM

The Microsoft Silverlight Media Framework v1.1 has just been releaed which includes Progressive Download support.  I hope this meets your requirements and please let me know if you have any questions!

Jan 15, 2010 at 10:59 PM

Thanks for the Update,

Curious if there are any docs outlining the support for Progressive Download.

Furthermore, maybe I am a little unclear on this, but this new release allow us to bind the SMF player framework to Windows Media Service (whether over a http:// or mms://) ?

Having quickly taken a peak an the basic instantiation of a <p:player> I didn't see any obvious references to a new MediaElement, so as we supposed to use the CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement ?

A simple example /documentation of the newly supported capability would be great.

Thanks for evolving the SMF with community requests. Eager to see a customizable player which we can extend with custom skins and functionality.

Coordinator
Jan 19, 2010 at 5:58 AM

Hello,

The current release of the SmoothStreamingMediaElement should support all MediaElement functions, in addition to Smooth Streaming media support.  That being the case, yes, you do use to the CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement for playing Progressive Download.  Here is what that XAML looks like:

<p:Player>
            <p:CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement
                AutoPlay="True"
                Source="http://video3.smoothhd.com.edgesuite.net/ondemand/Big%20Buck%20Bunny%20Adaptive.ism/Manifest"
                />
        </p:Player>

**Note the use of the Source property, not the SmoothStreamingSource property for Progressive Download.

I recommend downloading the source code and looking at the Test project for a functional example of Progressive Download.

Jan 19, 2010 at 4:00 PM

Hello, and thanks for the follow up,

Having done a few tests with the Source element, works perfectly (thanks for the updated doc and example)

From preliminary test on my side, I've been able to read/playback

• On demand, static WMV files http://WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ:PORT/PUBLISHINGPOINT/FileName.wmv
  • Live stream from a broadcast publishing point http:// or mms:// WWW.XXX.YYY.ZZZ:PORT/BroadcastPoint
  • WSX Files on the WMS in the format of

<?wsx version="1.0"?>
<smil repeatCount="indefinite">
  <seq id="sq1">
   <media id="video1" src="MYMEDIAFILE.wmv" />
  </seq>
</smil>

I want to thank you and the rest of the team working on this project for bringing the SMF framework into the realm of compatibility the Windows Media Services ecosystem. Though I appreciate the all the benefits of IIS Smooth Streaming, we still have tens of thousand of assets which are in WMV format and not readily convertible, as well as ongoing usage of the live publishing points. This release with the compatibility to WMS / progressive download is very significant in allowing the community to start building on the SMF with out placing a absolute requirement on Smooth Streaming.

Keep up the good work, look forward to more information on future roadmap for the SMF.

Feb 25, 2010 at 2:08 AM

Hi Krohling,

Thank you for your information, we're waiting the new version of SMF (can playback wmv, mp3, mp4, etc like MediaElement and SmoothStreaming), and when will the new version publish?

Apr 6, 2010 at 11:20 PM

How can I use SMF to play video files that are on my webserver? do they have to be mapped via ip? can I do something like '~/Videos/myVideo.wmv' in the Source field to play it?

Thanks

Aug 11, 2010 at 4:41 PM

Bump, it'd be nice to get an update to this thread if at possible, since versions have been updated and whatnot.

Thanks. 

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:11 PM

What type of info are you looking for, Kosko?

Aug 11, 2010 at 5:18 PM

For the most part, I'm wondering about an update on the OP's question, "can it also play local media files (wmv)"?

I've posted this in other discussions on this board (today), but thought I'd look to other threads as well. 

Thanks!

Coordinator
Aug 11, 2010 at 6:26 PM

SMF v2 does officially support Progressive Download media.  Check out "Building a Progressive Download Player" in the Documentation section for more information.  http://smf.codeplex.com/documentation

Sep 18, 2010 at 4:41 PM

I am still trying to get clarification 'progressive player' means a player that plays files that are stored on the local server?

What I am trying to do is create a YouTube like player. So when users click items, say on a grid, I want to be able to pass that file location (which sits on the local server) for the SMF player to start playing. so far the MediaSource seems to require a URL type location "http://www.somesite.com/somefile.wmv" instead I want to be able to just pass something like "~/myLocalServer/Videos/somefile.wmv".

Is this possible? If so how? 

Thanks