SSME Buffering Time - Not Updated

Nov 30, 2009 at 6:20 PM

Hi All.

Whenever I try to obtain the info about the buffering time of a movie thats in playback, it always returns 0s.

This isn't correct, because I remember that the Smooth Streaming Media Element had from an older version,at a steady state, a buffer of something like 20s, from the beginning of the movie.

Can anyone help me sort out this issue?

Tks,

Roberto

Coordinator
Dec 7, 2009 at 10:48 PM

Roberto,

This is not used by SSME today. This is used by SL media element and as we support all their APIs we support this. This will set the buffering time for Media Element for progressive download content.

Dec 8, 2009 at 9:07 AM

Kevin,

Doesnt the Media Element start with a default buffering time?

If yes, how can i obtain the current buffering time?

Tks,

Roberto

Coordinator
Dec 8, 2009 at 10:30 PM

Roberto,

Is your stream Progressive Download or Smooth Streaming?  The DefaultBufferingTime is only available when doing Progressive Download.

Kevin.

Dec 8, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Edited Dec 8, 2009 at 10:41 PM
krohling wrote:

Roberto,

Is your stream Progressive Download or Smooth Streaming?  The DefaultBufferingTime is only available when doing Progressive Download.

Kevin.

Hi Kevin.

Its Smooth Streaming. Does it mean that it doesn't have a BufferingTime? Imagine at the begining of the movie, it must buffer some chunks and then play them on the media element right? And then imagine after some time of streaming, that your internet access goes down at some time.
What happens is that it continues to play the movie until the buffer runs out of chunks right? How can I get this info using the SMF?

Tks,

Roberto

Coordinator
Dec 11, 2009 at 9:42 PM

Roberto,

The details of the SmoothStreaming implementation is being performed within the SmoothStreamingMediaElement (SSME), again this is not part of SMF, so I wouldn't be a good resource for the internal details.  However, I have spoken with that team and they have informed me that the BufferingTime property is not used for SmoothStreaming.  Unfortunately it appears that it is not possible to get the buffering information you are looking for from the SSME.

Kevin.