problem hosting from iis

Jun 19, 2012 at 9:08 AM

I have a xap file that contains the appropriate list of dlls including the 2.0 microsoft.web iis smooth streaming library.  It runs fine from visual studio, but if I point iis to the same directory, it says "Unable To Locate A Media Plugin To Play This Media Severity: "Warning" Sender: "Player" Type: "UnableToLocateMediaPlugin" Message: "Unable To Locate A Media Plugin To Play This Media"

What am I missing?

Scott Foster

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:31 PM

Typically, that message means either the smooth streaming dll or the smooth streaming plugin dll is not present. Both are required to be added to the project references of your main project.

If that does not help, can you explain a little more about what you mean by "point iis to the same directory".

Jun 19, 2012 at 2:44 PM

Thanks for your response - I checked in the xap and both files (and the ones from the list from another similar post) are in there. 

I have my visual studio project which is a combination of a silverlight application that is referencing the required media framework and a user control that displays the player and a website that hosts the application and feeds it the url to load.  When I run the applications through visual studio, it loads as expected and plays back the media (a mms/wmv stream from expression encoder).  When I create a virtual iis project that points to the folder of the website, the website works as expected, the player loads as expected, but the logging shows the error message of no plugin when it attempts to play the url. 

On the surface, it seems like a security difference between iis and visual studio that prevents the dll from loading or something, are there any differences between running the silverlight media framework under iis or visual studio?