SMF Player not switching the bit rates

May 10, 2012 at 9:15 PM

Hello,

We have a live smooth streaming running with 200kbps, 700kbps and 1.2mbps bit rates. The player starts with 200kbps and not switching the bit rates. I do not see any dropped frames, high CPU utilization. The client is running on i7 with 10mbps internet connection.

We are using Unified Streaming Platform server to generate Adobe HDS, Smooth streaming and Apple HLS streams. On the same client machine, Adobe HDS is switching the bit rates. On the same network, Apple HLS works fine on ROKU. But, SMF player is not switching the bit rates.

Do you see any issue here OR do you suggest any tool to analyse the issue? I have used Health Monitoring tool, but didn't get the root cause of the issue.

Thank you

May 11, 2012 at 8:37 AM

Hi Streamingguy

I would suggest monitoring the http requests, the player might be too far along in the livestream where it tries to fetch the higher qualities but they are simple not ready yet. I am not sure how USP handles this, but if it uploads the lowest quality segment first it might be that it is simply available first when none of the others are.

- Loke

May 11, 2012 at 3:12 PM

Thank you Loke!

Today, we tried the same stream with the same player on a system (1), which is geographically near to the USP server. The player was able to pick the highest bit rate in less than 5 seconds. But, not on the system (2), which is geographically little bit far from the USP server. I need to look at the latency.

I am not sure why Adobe HDS & Apple HLS streams are working with high bit rates on the same system(2). The encoder and USP server are running on the same server.