Need suggestions in serving Advertisements!

May 9, 2012 at 8:18 PM

Hello,

We have implemented SMF player and looking for help in implementing ads. We have our own video ads, which we want to display them as pre-roll, mid-roll and post-roll. Is there any free software to use it as in-house Ad server to serve our own ads and track the statistics?

Thank you for your time!

May 10, 2012 at 2:24 PM

Hi

If you inhouse software can produce VAST compatible feeds, you could use the approach from http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/content/smf/howto/v2/documents/Advertising.docx actually that might have some hints on how to do it otherwise as well. We've implemented pre and postrolls just using the playlist, and then hiding controls based on item type. This works great as our feeds already present something easily convertible to a playlist, of course this won't handle mid rolls though.

- Loke

May 10, 2012 at 7:54 PM

Hello Loke,

Thank you so much for your reply. 

If I use playlist, will there be a delay between each item? All of my main videos are Smooth streaming videos. Some of the Ads are also in Smooth streaming format. Is it possible Or is it a good practice to create a composite manifest dynamically and load the Ads into CSM file?

Do you suggest any VAST server to use as in-house server?

Thank you so much for helping many of us on these discussion!

May 11, 2012 at 7:35 AM

Hi

The last time i tested i saw no real delay between the clips, it was certainly not enough to make me want to create composite manifests, but it might vary for you. A quick test should be easy enough to set up.

Nope, not really. We normally integrate with third parties like Videoplaza. If your current inhouse server is software you have bought there might be an update enabling VAST, at least in our market it looks like more or less every single ad solution supports VAST now. (MAST and VPAID arent as extensively supported though)

You are welcome :)

- Loke

May 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM

Thank you Loke. I will try the playlist and then the CSM.