setting bitrate basing on bandwidth speed

Mar 8, 2012 at 9:13 AM

how can i retrieve the bandwidth perceived on playing a video...i need to define this bandwidth perceived value in MediaOpened method.

Mar 8, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Hi kalikoi

If you are thinking about setting the calculated bandwidth that Smooth Streaming uses to select the playback track, then there that's impossible.

You can however select specific tracks you want to play back, or restrict some tracks from being played back.

- Loke

Mar 14, 2012 at 11:17 AM

Actually i need the following actions

Player will take the 5 minutes of connectivity to determine the average speed
Player will request the stream that is capable of being streamed at the average speed
Player continues to do connectivity tests through out playback
If a dramatic shift is detected,for example connectivity drops from average of 4Mbps to 980k,then the player will immediately request the appropriate stream
When selecting different points in the play back timeline,the average speed should be used to request the stream for that point in playback

How to start with this?

Mar 14, 2012 at 1:12 PM

So you bascially wan't to do your own version of Smooth Streaming?

I would strongly advice against it, but it should be possible. I wouldn't do it on top of Smooth Streaming though, as you would be fighting it all the way.

You should probably implement it so that you download the chunks and feed it to the MediaElement instead then (which is what i think the SSME does internally)

- Loke