SMF Player - which video formats does it support?

Feb 18, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Edited Feb 19, 2012 at 2:31 AM

I've just tried out the SMFPlayer for the first time and am configured with silverlight 5 and smf 2.6.1. I've been trying to get it to work with a wmv file, and avi file and a swf file. None is played by the player. I have two playlists set up for testing and the second points to the 'Big Buck Bunny' video

and that video works well.  I have tried to find a simple statement online stating which video formats are supported by the player, but have had no luck.  I would think that at least wmv would be supported.  I'm build a new website and want to use the player to show demonstrations of a new piece of software.

I have already tried to load the wmv file to my project and set it as a resource. Nothing I've tried so far has worked.  Any ideas, anyone?

Update: I set up the player to have two playlists, one is the wmv file and the other is the 'Big Buck Bunny' video. I set up logging to attempt to see what is going on.  The playlist accessing the wmv file does not even fire the LogReceived event. Of course the other playlist does fire the event.  This makes me think that smf v2.6.1 still has a bug.

Feb 20, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Have you added references to appropriate plugins? For instance Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.Progressive.

Feb 21, 2012 at 8:58 PM
Edited Feb 22, 2012 at 4:29 PM

Julienv42,

Yes, I have added everything that I have seen documented.  I just tried it with that Progressive addin, but is still does not work. Just for documentation here, I added these references:

Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Core, Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins, Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.Progressive, Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming, Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Uilities and Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming.

As I said above, with the wmv file it appears that it is in a playlist, but nothing happens. The player's counters both are 00:00:00.  Based on what I have read elsewhere, I believe there is still a bug in smf v2.6.1. I have not yet heard of anyone successfully playing a wmv file with SMFPlayer under Silverlight v5.

Aug 24, 2012 at 2:32 PM

i reckon i too late but i manage to figure what ur problem is/was