DRM video without Silverlight

Jan 18, 2012 at 5:46 PM

Hi guys,

I have downloaded the Player Framework and tried to run DRM videos from Media Server however there is no way I can do this without Silverlight. When I run the video with a browser that does not have Silverlight the plugin is asked to be installed instead of running the video.

Please correct me if I am wrong, wasn't Player Framework developed to run videos without Silverlight?. In such case is there a special configuration I should take into account in order to run DRM with Media Server?. 

Has anyone tried it?.

Thanks very much in advance,

Jan 20, 2012 at 7:09 AM

The PlayReady DRM runtime is bundled with Silverlight. If you wan't to run DRM videos outside Silverlight, you will have to license the PlayReady client toolkit, and write a program yourself that handles that part. It seems like you try to run it using the browsers HTML5 support, and that is definately not possible, as the browsers to not decode PlayReady DRM.

Feb 23, 2012 at 2:35 AM

Hi lokexstream, 

I will keep on diggin into it and come back with what I find. Thanks for the answer. 

The issue seems to be on the big players agenda already. 

Hope they can come up with a solution, currently the chances of going to html5 with Microsoft drm are few to impossible.

Can anybody point out something different?. 

Feb 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM

Hi grupovida

You might find http://dvcs.w3.org/hg/html-media/raw-file/tip/encrypted-media/encrypted-media.html interesting.

- Loke