MP4 playback via Progressive Download broken in 2.6

Nov 22, 2011 at 10:47 PM
Edited Jan 9, 2013 at 7:30 PM

I have an application which uses Progressive Download to playback Mp4 sources.  The application targets Windows Phone OS 7.1.  

Using MMP 2.5 I have no issues playing back mp4's via progressive download when targeting OS 7.0

Using MMP 2.6 I am not able to target 7.0.   (This is expected)

Using MMP 2.5 or 2.6 on OS 7.1 I am unable to playback MP4 sources via progressive download.

Also, therere is a very bizarre behavior that is easily reproduceable with a Mainpage.xaml contain only the MMP player.

When loading the SMF 2.6 player on OS 7.1, it takes a long time to load and will sometimes error (seems to depend on whether there is a lot of work going on in background threads downloading data and whatnot).

However, if the debugger is turned on there is never an error loading the player (though MP4 sources still fail to play back)

I would appreciate any insight you guys may have on this.

Great work by the way, I would love to get this properly working in my Mango apps.

Cheers,

Paul

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:18 AM
Edited Jan 9, 2013 at 7:24 PM

I was able to reproduce this behavior in the  test app available in the SMF Player source, will reply when I figure out the issue.

Nov 23, 2011 at 12:26 AM
Edited Jan 9, 2013 at 7:32 PM

Fixed by rebuilding using suggestion offered here: http://smf.codeplex.com/discussions/278555 

Specifically, I recompiled the following with the following names:

Microsoft.SMF.Compatibility.Phone.dll

Microsoft.SMF.Plugins.Progressive.Phone.dll

Microsoft.SMF.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.Phone.dll

Microsoft.SMF.Plugins.TimedText.Phone.dll

and FWIW I added a reference to Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming.dll

It works so I am happy, will provide more specifics on request.

It appears the namspace for the Progressive Download Plugin exceeds the max namespace length allowed on 7.1 which is apparently less restricted on 7.0.  Sounds bizarre, but try for yourself, Progressive Download does not work out of the box with either 2.5 or 2.6 release of SMFPlayer on 7.1 (Mango).

Cheers, 

Paul