Limiting/disabling rewind on Smooth Streaming

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:03 AM

I haven't found a way to do this using SMF, maybe it's not possible/easy...

A client is providing a couple of live Smooth Streaming feeds, which are actually TV channels. They don't have the same rights with these feeds depending on the country of playback, so we'll need to implement some geolocalization to find the country of the user, then restrict the features available. One is easy: just allow yes/no. The other is trickier: allow/disable rewind.

I think I can find ways to disable rewind, quite forceful (like hiding/disabling timeline and relevant buttons). But I can't find a(n easy) way to limit the rewind period. The best thing I can think of right now is implementing some event handlers for the various scrubbing events, which feels bad, because we'd have an inconsistent UI (and have to find a way to transmit the information from VM to V) or redo a custom timeline UI myself.

Is that even possible on Smooth Streaming feeds? From what I know the info comes from the Manifest:

DVRWindowLength="864000000000" CanSeek="TRUE" CanPause="TRUE"

Any help/hints are appreciated ;)

Nov 10, 2011 at 9:09 AM

Can't seem to edit my answer... so here's an addendum:

I'm required to be able to change the rewind 'window' from the player, without access to the Manifest.

Dec 5, 2011 at 10:08 AM

It seems nobody's got a clue for this.

I think I will go the custom UI way, maybe creating a derivate of Timeline for my purpose.