SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin::BufferingTime Property

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:28 PM

Can anyone tell me if setting this property has any effect?

I've noticed that somewhere between SmoothStreamingClient v1.1 and v1.5 the amount of buffer required before the MediaElement starts playing has increased from something like 3 or 4 seconds up to 10 seconds. But I want playing to start almost immediately (like it use to). I thought this property would provide the key as it sets the SmoothStreamingMediaElement::BufferingTime property, described at

Unfortunately no such luck. I've also tried setting the BufferingTime property in the SmoothStreamingMediaElement but this too has no effect.

So has anyone seen this property having any effect for smooth streams? Something I should also note is that I'm testing this on VOD smooth streams and not Live smooth streams.

Aug 30, 2011 at 12:30 PM

I'm also most interested in the answer on this. I believe it has something to do with the Chunk Downloader MMPPF employs. It wraps downloading content to SSME and had options for setting it's download strategy like AggressiveFuture which will buffer as much content as it can ahead of what is currently being displayed.

Sep 5, 2011 at 10:54 AM

I've started investigating what's causing this. First thing I've found is that if I use a SmoothStreamingMediaElement from SmoothStreamingClient v1.5, then media starts playing after just 3 or 4 seconds. And in fact you can set the BufferingTime property of the SmoothStreamingMediaElement to 1 second and media starts playing after just 1 second.

So it must be the MMP:PF that is causing the media to also start after 10 seconds. I'm starting to have a look at the MMP:PF source to find out what's going on, will post if I find out what's causing this.

In a separate but possibly related issue, I've also noticed if you use MMP:PF v2.5 to create a Silverlight app and host this app on an IIS box with Basic Authentication turned on,  and then open this in Chrome or Firefox you are asked to authenticate twice. Once for getting the webpage then again when trying to fetch the manifest for the smooth stream I want to play. This didn't happen when using smf v2.1, it only asked to authenticate when getting the initial webpage.

Sep 5, 2011 at 2:28 PM

You should be able to set SMFPlayer.BufferingTime to a smaller number. The default value currently is 10 seconds.

Note: For the next version of SMFPlayer, I've changed this property to Nullable<TimSpan> and defaulted the value to null. ...Null indicates that it should use the default value on the MediaPlugin. Each MediaPlugin can then provide their own recommendation for this property.

Sep 6, 2011 at 8:18 AM

Thanks Tim!

Sep 10, 2011 at 10:43 PM
This discussion has been copied to a work item. Click here to go to the work item and continue the discussion.