Microsoft Expression Encoder Player to Microsoft Media Platform

Aug 16, 2011 at 1:59 AM

Hi All

I am planning to upgrade the player framework from Microsoft Expression Encoder to MMP, we are not going to use smooth streaming but just adaptive streaming. We do DRM the files, in the expression encoder we had the MediaPlayer.cs where I currently custom coded the Play, DRM and Markerreached events. I want to know where to start for making this upgrade .

Please help if there are documentation which depicts such a migration.

Thanks

Vjsaharan

Coordinator
Aug 16, 2011 at 2:26 AM

Glad to hear you're going to use MMP. We unfortunately don't have any docs created to help guide your migration although it's possible other users on the forum may be able to help offer general guidence. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help explain what the mirror API/approach is. MarkerReached for example is an event that is available on SMFPlayer.

Tim

Aug 16, 2011 at 4:45 PM

It is tough to decide what is the best strategy. I have been experimenting with MMP and know that is the current best practice for future development. But I certainly like some of the Expression templates, especialy the ones with the playlist gallery along the right hand side and the nice bold look of the controls on the player skin. I wish I wasn't so overwhelmed about the prospect of studying the template from Expression and borrowing to adapt the MMP templates.

Aug 16, 2011 at 7:44 PM
Hi Tim
I am trying to run the smf-54469 sample and i had dropped Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming.dll V1.5 and i get lots of errors like

'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Player.CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement' does not contain a definition for 'LiveBufferSize' and no extension method 'LiveBufferSize' accepting a first argument of type 'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Player.CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?)

'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Player.CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement' does not contain a definition for 'Scrubbing' and no extension method 'Scrubbing' accepting a first argument of type 'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Player.CoreSmoothStreamingMediaElement' could be found (are you missing a using directive or an assembly reference?) C:\Users\501225061\Documents\Projects Docs\DSR\SMF\smf-54469\Source\Trunk\Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework\Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Player\Player.cs

:::

Is there some reference i am missing or is the version not right.

Thanks
Vjsaharan.R

To: [email removed]
Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2011 18:26:35 -0700
Subject: Re: Microsoft Expression Encoder Player to Microsoft Media Platform [smf:269188]

Glad to hear you're going to use MMP. We unfortunately don't have any docs created to help guide your migration although it's possible other users on the forum may be able to help offer general guidence. If you have specific questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to help explain what the mirror API/approach is. MarkerReached for example is an event that is available on SMFPlayer.
Tim
Read the full discussion online.
To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email (smf@discussions.codeplex.com)
To start a new discussion for this project, email smf@discussions.codeplex.com
You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe on CodePlex.com.
Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com
Aug 16, 2011 at 8:16 PM

Hi I am able to clear out few reference errors when i installed the exe  Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Setup.msi, does this mean that i need to install this MSI even in the servers, if not what reference did this install make that cleared the errors.

I have a major problem now, i cant have a manifest file in my app as my current application already has like 50,000 WMV videos in it.

Does this mean i cant use SMF, please help me here.

Thanks

Vijayasaharan.R

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:06 AM

Hi All

I have a issue in playing WMV files using Adaptive Streaming, where as I can stream the same file with progressive download or Streaming option. Is there a way where I can use Adaptive streaming for rtsp and MMS URL's.

Also what is the difference between the methods Streaming and Adaptive Streaming.

Here is the code i use, i have added the Web.SmoothStreaming DLL in my reference

namespace SMF_SmoothStreaming
{
    public partial class MainPage : UserControl
    {
        public MainPage()
        {
            InitializeComponent();
            string _Url = "rtsp://310.0.0.1/myapp/prod/Art 104 online.wmv";
            PlayVideo(_Url);
        }

public void PlayVideo(string Url)
        {
            var playlist = new ObservableCollection<Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Core.Media.PlaylistItem>();
            playlist.Add(new Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Core.Media.PlaylistItem()
            {
                MediaSource = new Uri(Url, UriKind.Absolute),
                DeliveryMethod = Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.Primitives.DeliveryMethods.Streaming
            });
            myplayer.Playlist = playlist;
        }
    }
}