SMF 2.5 Can not play Live Streams on Machines without VS 2010 SP1

Jul 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM

I downloaded SMF 2.5 Sample Smooth Stream Player from the download page (http://smf.blob.core.windows.net/downloads/smoothstreamingplayer-2.2011.0410.1.zip). Then I changed the mediaUrl in the to my live media source and post it on my web server.

On my development machine, every works perfect! However, when i use a testing computer, the player does not work at all!

My development machine is of the following config: Windows 7, Visual Studio 2010 SP1, with SilverLight 4.0.60531.0 runtime installed

The testing machine is just newly installed windows XP with latest silverlight runtime installed + SMF 2.5 + Smooth Stream Client 1.5 update 1.

I have no clue on what is happening! What should i install on the testing machine to make SMF 2.5 work?

Moreover, I try Sample Smooth Stream Player in SMF 2.2 (http://download.microsoft.com/download/0/3/9/03995D4D-7654-48C9-8E2A-5BE65FEA9FFC/SmoothStreamingPlayer.exe), it works on both machine!!! How Come!? Can anyone explain?

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2011 at 4:56 PM

lueng24, I'm wondering if the issue is the minruntime set in the HTML page on the object tag. Could you give this update a try? http://smf.blob.core.windows.net/downloads/smoothstreamingplayer-2.2011.0410.2.zip (the only thing that has changed is the html page).

Please let me know if that works so I can update our links.

Tim

Jul 7, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your reply. I tried your update but the problem still remains.

I have one more findings for the problem.

For SMF 2.5 Player sample, I tried the demo link ( "http://ecn.channel9.msdn.com/o9/content/smf/smoothcontent/elephantsdream/Elephants_Dream_1024-h264-st-aac.ism/manifest"), and it works on both computer.

Then i changed the mediaUrl to the following which point to my live media, and it only work on the development machine.

However, when i do the same on SMF 2.2 Player sample, both link work well.

Could this behavior related to my live stream?

If you could help, i can set up my live stream for debugging.

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2011 at 6:24 PM

Just to make sure I understand correctly, did you upload the html and xap file to a server and are trying to run the app over http? Are you using the same url from both machines? Or are you running this from within Visual Studio or the filesystem?

Also, does the silverlight app run but the video won't play or does the silverlight app itself not load (no buttons on the bottom for example)?

If the problem is just that the video won't play and you are running the html page from VS or the filesystem, the clientaccesspolicy.xml file might be the problem. You might also try running Fiddler to see if it helps provide more info.

Tim

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:31 PM

Hi Tim,

Just to make sure I understand correctly, did you upload the html and xap file to a server and are trying to run the app over http? Are you using the same url from both machines? Or are you running this from within Visual Studio or the filesystem?

--> Yes. I upload the html and XAP to an IIS Server running on window server 2008. Both machine use the same url.

Also, does the silverlight app run but the video won't play or does the silverlight app itself not load (no buttons on the bottom for example)?

--> The Silverlight App Run but the video won't play.

If the problem is just that the video won't play and you are running the html page from VS or the filesystem, the clientaccesspolicy.xml file might be the problem. You might also try running Fiddler to see if it helps provide more info.

--> I did try with Wireshark to capture the network traffic. It seems that the client only request the manifest and did not request for the content on SMF 2.5. I will try Fiddler and see if i can find something more.

Best,

King

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2011 at 6:39 PM

King, is the SL runtime version the same on both machines? Also, you won't need to install the Smooth Stream Client 1.5 update 1 on your test machines. The necessary binaries are packaged in the xap itself. This won't hurt anything but I just wanted to mention it.

Jul 7, 2011 at 6:45 PM

Yeah, Both machine is with silverlight runtime 4.0.60531.0

The link with SMF 2.2 player pointing to my own live media source is the following:
The link with SMF 2.5 player (the updated player in the post) pointing to my own live media source is the following:
I tried 4 computers without VS2010 installed. The first link works fine for all but the second does not work on all of them.
I will keep my stream run for at least the following 24 hours. Wish this can help to get the problem.
Jul 7, 2011 at 7:21 PM
Edited Jul 7, 2011 at 7:23 PM

Hi Tim,

Another update. I tried Fiddler. The capture on the problematic machine is in the following links.

http://www.panv.hk/player25_2/ProblemCap.zip

The player got access to the clientaccesspolicy.xml and obtained the manifest. Yet after that, nothing happen...

Thanks a lot,

King

Coordinator
Jul 7, 2011 at 8:59 PM

I just tried both of your links and they worked fine on a machine w/o VS installed. (Win7). How long do you wait to make sure you see video? It should be fairly quick but I'm just wondering if there's some kind of extra long delay for some reason.

Jul 8, 2011 at 6:31 AM
Edited Jul 8, 2011 at 6:33 AM

Hi Tim,

I wait about 60 seconds before i make sure the link does not work. 

I tested another 6 computers from my friends, together with the 6 computers in my office, the statistics is that 5 machines works and 7 machines does not. Failed more than a half.

Till this point, I think that the problem might not related to VS2010. Because I also found a computer w/o VS which can run the player. However, I do find a few computers that does not work well and i have no idea why.

Moreover, I tried to re-install (i.e. un-install, reboot, re-install) Silverlight runtime on those computers. None of them work still.

It seems that it is system dependent. On the client computer, is that silverlight runtime is the only thing needed? Any other dependency?

If you have time, I can show you a computer that does not work through remote.....

Coordinator
Jul 8, 2011 at 3:02 PM

Another good test would be to create a simple page that plays the video with the SmoothStreamingMediaElement only. This is what the player framework uses internally. If you still have a problem there you would need to work with the IIS team to help determine the problem. It's pretty simple to do: just create a new project and add to your form: <ssme:SmoothStreamingMediaElement SmoothStreamingSource="yoururl" />

One more thing that comes to mind is to turn on logging in the player framework by setting LoggingConsoleVisible="Visible" and LogLevel="All". This will show diagnostic info on the screen.

Jul 14, 2011 at 3:07 AM

Do you have cross domain files on the server?

Thanks,

Jul 14, 2011 at 10:32 AM

To bhaktavatsal,

Yeah. I checked with Fiddler and the client requested the manifest and crossdomain file, then stop responding.....

Oct 4, 2011 at 2:44 PM

Hi,
I think I'm having the same problem, anyone found a solution for it?