Chapter vs MediaMarker

Jun 21, 2011 at 9:01 AM

Hi,

I'm a tad confused regarding Chapter and MediaMarker.  Am I correct in saying that a marker denotes the start of a chapter, and a chapter denotes an object which describes a segment of audio or video?

Thanks,

Johann

Coordinator
Jun 22, 2011 at 4:05 PM

Johann, in terms of the object model, Chapter actually inherits from MediaMarker and is therefore a special kind of MediaMarker. It adds the ability to have a title, description, & image that can be displayed when you click on the marker. A chapter is also used to allow you to skip forward and back to the previous/next chapter.

TimelineMediaMarker is another kind of MediaMarker that is non interactive. It shows up on the timeline but thats all.

Hopefully that helps,

Tim

Jun 23, 2011 at 6:21 AM

Hi Tim,

Thanks for your help!  I have one other question, but I suspect this one might be a bit more challenging...

We are using the Microsoft Expressions Encoder Pro to encode live video to a publishing point on IIS Smooth Streaming.  I'd like to be able to push chapters or any sort of event through with the live stream.  As far as I can tell, we've figured out how to "send" caption messages through the live stream, but I need to know how to pick up captions from a live video stream?  Does the Javascript API support caption reading?

Kindly,

Johann