HealthMonitor default channel name not working?

Apr 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM

Following the instructions in the HealthMonitor documentation (HealthMonitor.docx, found here:, I've setup a channel name for my application's monitoring.

If I type the name, I am able to connect the HealthMonitor to my app's player.

But I cannot seem to avoid typing it, even if  I follow the instructions to setup the default channel name :

If you don't want require users of the health monitor tool to type in an ID, you can also change the default player ID for the health monitor by creating your own html page that hosts the health monitor .xap file. Once you've done this, all you need to do is add the following HTML element to your HTML page:
<input type="hidden" id="defaultChannelName" value="SomeIDForMyPlayer" />
The HealthMonitor will detect this and update its default player ID/channel name.

I'm using a default HTML template page as generated for a Silverlight project in Visual Studio 2010.

It's not a major inconvenience, but if somebody has a solution for this, I'd be glad.

Apr 27, 2011 at 3:21 PM

Julienv42, are you trying to use the healthmonitor that is hosted at or are you hosting your own version of the health monitor tool? This note in the documentation is about the later.

In which case, you need to add this hidden field to html in both your player and in your hosted version of the healthmonitor. The one hosted at uses the default ID (with the option for the user to type in a new one of course).

I hope that makes sense. Let me know if you are having problems getting what I've described above to work. I will also take a look at the docs again to try to make this more clear.


Apr 27, 2011 at 3:48 PM

Thanks for the answer.

Here are more details on my setup:

I have added the HealthMonitor.xap file to the ClientBin folder of my Web project, and duplicated the HTML test page, renamed it and changed this line: <param name="source" value="ClientBin/HealthMonitor.xap"/>.

So the HealthMonitor is hosted on my localhost server (or an intranet test server, the result is the same). And it's working fine if I type the value by hand (it evens suggest it as a MRU list after one try).