How to implement IIS Advanced logging in SMFv2 Player?

Jun 27, 2010 at 4:26 AM

If SmoothStreamingMediaElement control is available,
I think IIS Advanced logging can be used such as http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff728114(VS.90).aspx.
SmoothStreamingMediaElement control is available easily in case of SMFv1.1 player and SSME Player,
but I don't know in case of SMFv2 Player. Or Should I approach to implement it in a very different way?

Jun 27, 2010 at 3:11 PM

I've noticed this as well that the MediaElement objects are set as protected properties within the plugins. Many analytics providers require passing in the media element object (Omniture, Conviva, Akamai). With SMV 1.1 we used the public property and passed it into them (for our world cup player). I know MSAF will be the way to go but right now it is not. Conviva doesn't have a plugin and the Omniture one seems to never be finished.

The IMediaPlugin interface should expose the MediaElement so in situations when we really need to work with it, we can. I know that it is tied to the PlayListItem that is playing so we may need a MediaPluginChanged event along with the PlayListItemChanged . That way we can update our code that references the current plugin.

Coordinator
Jun 30, 2010 at 11:52 PM

If you really need to get to the SSME.  Try this:

var ssme = (SmoothStreamingMediaElement) IMediaPlugin.VisualElement;

Ideally we want the SSME hidden away so developer's don't tweak it too much (this could be problematic) but this is kind of a back door.