SMF v2 missing some classes in Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming namespace

Jun 8, 2010 at 10:14 AM

Hi,

I've just downloaded SMF v2 and I have some problems with playing smooth streaming content. First of all, the source code gives compilation errors in some (not all) references to Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming.

It looks like the current  IIS Smooth Streaming Player Development Kit (Beta 2, downloaded from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2b1ce605-3b99-49ad-8a26-1250f2acbbf6&displayLang=en) is not the latest version. After adding in to the project some references are still broken.

The full stacktrace given by loging plugin is:

Message: \"The composition produced a single composition error. The root cause is provided below. Review the CompositionException.Errors property for more detailed information.
\r\n\r\n1)
Could not load type 'Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming.ChunkResult'
from assembly 'Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming, Version=3.0.711.8, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35'.
\r\n\r\nResulting in: An exception occurred while trying to create an instance of type 'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin'.
\r\n\r\nResulting in: Cannot activate part 'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin'.
\r\n
Element: Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin
-->  Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin -->  
AssemblyCatalog (Assembly=\"Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming, Version=2.2010.604.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=17913f4360e6936c\")
\r\n\r\nResulting in: Cannot get export 'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin
(ContractName=\"Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.IMediaPlugin\")'
from part 'Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin'.\r\nElement:
Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin (ContractName=\"Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.IMediaPlugin\")
-->  Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming.SmoothStreamingMediaPlugin -->  
AssemblyCatalog (Assembly=\"Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming, Version=2.2010.604.1, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=17913f4360e6936c\")
\r\n\""IIS Smooth Streaming Player Development Kit - Beta 2

Jun 8, 2010 at 1:41 PM
Yes, it looks like the latest IIS Smooth Streaming PDK has not been released yet. Hopefully it comes out today. SMF V2 seems to just be a reference until then. Looks like it's going to be quite a bit of work to upgrade from SMF 1.1.
Jun 8, 2010 at 2:40 PM

Yep, I'm having the same kind of problem. However I'm also having problems building the source solution because of the setup project. Visual Studio can't open the .wixproj project.

I tried installing the WIX Toolset, but that didn't seem to help.

Anyhow, I'm sure it'll all get sorted out, hopefully soon ;)

Great work everyone involved :)

Coordinator
Jun 8, 2010 at 3:47 PM

Hey guys, first, thanks for using SMF, the feedback is great and much appreciated.  Regarding the references to Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming, as DarthObiwan mentioned, you'll need to get the latest version of this IIS Smooth Streaming PDK.  Unfortunately, this is not available right this moment but it should be out very soon.

Ola Karlsson, sorry to hear the WIX bits are causing problems.  We're using Votive, which is the WIX plugin for Visual Studio, installing this may help otherwise you can just remove the project if you'd like.  Would you prefer the Setup project be excluded from future source code releases?

Jun 9, 2010 at 12:42 PM

krohling, thanks for the quick reply.

Regarding if to include the setup or not, I guess it could be a bit of a tricky one. As it's "the source", I guess you could argue it should be included, you could also argue that it shows people how to put together a setup solution for distributing software. However I feel that as it's a not actually part of SMF, and this project is about a media framework and not about building setup project, I'd rather see it left out. 

I think it may cause unnecessary confusion and increases the barrier of entry for someone who wants to check out the SMF source. 

Personally I'd never heard of WIX or a .wixproj project, some Googling led me to install the WIX toolkit, which as previously mentioned didn't do any good, that was the point where I just unloaded the setup project.

Conclusion, either take it out (which I personally still think would be best), or provide some clear instructions when you download the source, telling you that Votive is a prerequisite for building the setup project and that if people don't want to install it, just unload the setup project to build the rest of the source.

Keep up the good work!

Coordinator
Jun 9, 2010 at 4:48 PM

Thanks for the feedback OlaKarlsson, I'll take this into account when packaging the next release!

Jun 10, 2010 at 10:24 AM
Edited Jun 10, 2010 at 10:51 AM

With Expression Blend 4 being out, a temporary solution is to download Encoder 4, extract the Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming.dll from the SmoothStreaming.xap file (within Encoder 4/Templates/en/Graphing folder), copy it into the Lib/ folder and replace the references. I've done this and everything compiles (including Microsoft.SilverlightMediaFramework.Plugins.SmoothStreaming) and the samples all play perfectly. The DLL also seems to be present in Encoder 4\Templates\en\SmoothStreamingMediaElement\DropFromIIS with the same date/time stamp and size, if you don't want to have to go through the hassle of opening the xap in WinZip/7-Zip and extracting the DLL.

The link for Encoder 4 is http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=b686399e-db71-4c4c-a457-c5b69b60e4d5&displaylang=en

Jun 10, 2010 at 11:18 AM
Peter: The solution you suggested totally works! Thank you very much!
Jun 10, 2010 at 12:17 PM

Great solution Peter!

I should have thought of it myself, that's pretty much how I built my first custom Smooth Streaming player back in Silverlight 2, ripping out the necessary stuff from Encoder templates and bringing them in to my project.

Thanks for thinking of it and sharing :)

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:54 PM

Released. Get it from here.

http://www.iis.net/download/SmoothClient

This should solve the problems regarding the reference to the DLL. I saw IIS Media Services 4 BETA as well released with more device support iPhone etc. So great work from Microsoft.

Thanks,

Jun 11, 2010 at 5:40 PM

Does anybody have any examples showing how to implement the new player????

Coordinator
Jun 11, 2010 at 7:39 PM

FYI, the source code was updated based on several complaints about the setup package and version number revisions on Microsoft.Web.Media.SmoothStreaming.dll. The current package does not include the setup package and is updated to reference the final RTW version of the smooth streaming library. Thanks for the feedback guys!