SMF works on Windows Phone 7 :)

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:32 PM
Edited Mar 16, 2010 at 3:42 PM

Yesterday I took the project I'm working on and did a trial port of it to Windows Phone 7 and was able to get it working. Though there were issues with browser specific things (like initparams, fullscreen)

One thing I found was Windows Phone doesn't have System.Windows.Browser which SMF has dependencies on. After adding that as a reference in the WP7 project it worked. There were still tons of warnings due to referenced versions being out of sync.

Still as a first attempt I was impressed that all of our main features worked and a live stream made it through.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:48 PM

I ran in to that today as well with System.Windows.Browser.  As I understand that library won't be available on WP7...so I gave up trying to port SMF over.  Seems like a smooth streaming solution for WP7 may have to be built on the MediaElement (ala Expression Template) and not the SmoothStreamingMediaElement (ala SMF).

Mar 17, 2010 at 1:46 AM

It still works, it just compiles with a bunch of warnings. Probably will be a good thing to abstract out it's use in SMF for WP7. It will be interesting to see when SMF v2 comes out if they already did that.

Mar 31, 2010 at 5:38 PM

I got smf up and running as well. My project will be using normal files on a regular http server, as opposed to a smooth streaming server, so i'm just here to use the progressive download. I was successful at streaming a mp3 file, but aac fails with either the m4a or adts container. What kind of media have you got to work with streaming so far Darth?

Also, the issues isn't so much how SMF depends on System.Windows.Browser as the underlying Smooth Streaming Player SDK does. We have the source to the SMF, so we can change it, we get no source for Smooth Streaming Player.

Mar 31, 2010 at 6:14 PM

So far I've only done smooth streaming both VOD and Live (.ism and .isml).

I doubt the Smooth Streaming Media Element source will be released any time soon. I'm sure they will release a compatible version at some point because this will be a huge advantage. Netflix definitely needs the smooth streaming.

May 1, 2010 at 8:12 PM
ebuchanan wrote:

I got smf up and running as well. My project will be using normal files on a regular http server, as opposed to a smooth streaming server, so i'm just here to use the progressive download. I was successful at streaming a mp3 file, but aac fails with either the m4a or adts container. What kind of media have you got to work with streaming so far Darth?

Also, the issues isn't so much how SMF depends on System.Windows.Browser as the underlying Smooth Streaming Player SDK does. We have the source to the SMF, so we can change it, we get no source for Smooth Streaming Player.

AAC isn't supported in the emulator but it will be on the actual phone, so it's hard to say at this point whether that will work with SMF. 

May 1, 2010 at 8:21 PM
And unfortunately with the latest WP7 tools refresh adding System.Windows.Browser.dll to your project will cause the program not to run at all on the phone.
May 3, 2010 at 3:17 PM
Looks like there is a workaround to the issue with adding the dll to the project. The new WP7 shipped with a big bug that it doesn't work with any signed assemblies other than the WP7 assemblies. http://www.manyniches.com/windows-phone/signed-assemblies-bug-in-the-windows-phone-tools-ctp-refresh/