SMF v.2 Feedback Requested

Coordinator
Feb 22, 2010 at 9:55 PM

Hello and thanks to everyone who has provided feedback we have used to shape the current state of SMF.  I’d like to  take this opportunity to give everyone a heads up on our future plans for SMF and elicit some feedback from you, the end user.  The following are our high level objectives for the next version, v.2:

1. Improved API – We are working to standardize the SMF API with the goal of making it more intuitive and developer friendly.
  2. Documentation – There have been many requests regarding what specific methods/members do, or how to perform different tasks using SMF.  We hope to alleviate these challenges with improved documentation accompanying the next release.
  3. Advertising – We are planning to deliver an advertising component built on industry standards designed to improve ad scheduling, delivery and analytics.  This will follow the initial release of the SMF Player.
  4. Plug-Ins – SMF v.2 is being designed to support several types of Plug-Ins, including: Media Playback, Marker/Captioning Providers, Logging, and Advertising.
  5. Accessibility – Improved accessibility support

More details regarding the specifics of these features will be released soon.  Until then, we are very interested in hearing your challenges thus far and if you feel they are being addressed.  Also, we value any other ideas you have for how we can improve SMF.

Thanks,

The SMF Team.

Feb 22, 2010 at 10:15 PM

I dont know if this is indicitive of the SMF team or the Silverlight team, but the fact that SpeedRatio isnt available on the MediaElement for Silverlight is just really hard to accept. The WPF version supports it. the MediaPlayer ActiveX control, or however it used to be implemented in ASP.Net pages, QuickTime and Flash all support the notion of speed ratio. 

In the interim, would anyone on the team have any suggestions on how one might go about implementing aforementioned functionality. I have a few ideas in mind, all of which involve working with the byte array of data.

mw

Feb 23, 2010 at 1:34 PM

One specific thing about the SMF:

The private EnableControls method in the Player class should be made protected so that an override could include more controls to be enabled/disabled. Extending and overriding would be a better approach than copying the SMF source and rewrite Player.cs.

I think this also is relevant for other private "behavior" logic in SMF's different control classes, but I have no more examples at this time.

Or, instead of manipulating the specific controls by code, the same could be achieved if you implemented it as visual states.

Mar 9, 2010 at 6:08 AM

When do you guys think SMF V2 will be released?

Mar 16, 2010 at 2:29 PM

I know I've asked before but I'm curious on when it will be released. We have a large project and the next day or two are going to be the defining days of the project. I would love to incorporate V2 into it. I love the idea of having providers for the data and an improved ad system.

Mar 16, 2010 at 11:26 PM

Will the rotary control for the playback speed be available in v2?

Jun 10, 2010 at 3:34 PM

In the "New V2" section for the SMF v2 release there is a mention of the API docs being available. How can i download them?

Thanks,

Coordinator
Jun 17, 2010 at 8:40 PM

bhaktavatsal, the CHM file is now available under downloads

snapcoyote, the rotary control will not be available in v2.

Jun 21, 2010 at 11:38 PM

Overload the TimeSpan.Format() extension to take in a format string as an alternative to taking it from the resources. Also update TimeSpanValueConverter to take in a parameter of the format. I mention this because this was one thing our clients wanted to be configurable via their proprietary configuration system. Having it be loaded from a built in resource is basically useless for us.

I'm sure I'm going to have many more as I go through upgrading our SMF 1.1 project. We made many changes to the SMF 1.1 code base.

Jun 22, 2010 at 3:42 PM

On the following URL

http://smf.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=SMF%20v2%20Getting%20Started%20Guide

It refers to the following:

Note: If you have installed SMF using the Setup.exe package your .dll's will be located at: %Program files%\Microsoft SDKs\Microsoft Silverlight Media Framework\v2\bin

==

Which Setup.exe does it refer to? I could not find any Setup.exe from any of the downloads.

Thanks,

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2010 at 12:56 AM

darthobiwan, this will be available in the next release:

public static string Format(this TimeSpan timeSpan, string format)
        {
            return string.Format(CultureInfo.InvariantCulture,
                                 format,
                                 timeSpan.Hours,
                                 timeSpan.Minutes,
                                 timeSpan.Seconds);
        }

Coordinator
Jul 1, 2010 at 12:56 AM

bhaktavatsal - The installer isn't publicly available yet.

Sep 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM

Any timeframe on when the installer will be available? I do see lot of videos that refers to the installer.

Sep 17, 2010 at 7:36 PM

Got the installer, it is on the home page, first link.